Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Life is...

Life is a journey. As a Christian, I have come to realize that this earth is not my home – I’m only passing through.

Like vacations we take in this lifetime, we experience seasons of joy and laughter, seasons of frustration and disappointment… We can see new sights and learn new customs… But as much as we enjoy our times of discovery and adventure, something in our hearts tugs us toward “home.” And aren’t we glad to return home after a long, full trip?

I know for me, personally, as much as I enjoy traveling to Seattle or Colorado or Las Vegas or Hawaii, I always breathe a sigh of relief and utter a prayer of thanks as we pull into our driveway. A sense of contentment washes over me and I am ready to get back into my regular routine.

On this journey called “Life” – as enjoyable and exciting as it sometimes is – something in my heart longs for Home… My true home in Heaven, where there is a mansion with my name on it! I’ve seen this home many times over the years, deep in my heart... As mansions go, it’s not grand at all – certainly not by the world’s standards. The Heavenly Home I “see” is humble and cozy and rustic… It is a smallish log cabin, built on a bluff that looks out over the ocean and sandy beach below and is surrounded on three sides by towering, fragrant pine trees and majestic snow-capped mountains. I can hear the pleasing cry of the gulls and the pounding waves against the shore – the melodious birdsong in the forest and the gentle whisper of the breeze in the treetops… There is a small expanse of green grass and moss that covers the space between my front door and the edge of the bluff and a dozen varieties of wildflowers grow in clusters along the soft dirt path.

I’ve never seen this little home with my physical eyes, but in my heart, it’s a place I am homesick for… It’s the place I will find eternal joy, love, peace and contentment when my journey through this life is at an end.

I can hardly wait to get home.

1 comment:

Marci said...

Oh, Kim, this should be published!!