Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Stories in Hand

Birth & Childhood pg 7
What is your full name? Were you named after anyone?
My birth name is Kimmie Lee W-----. During pregnancy, my parents' choice names for me were "Jeffery Allen" and "Ramona" (never heard a middle name that went with this), or possibly, "Tammy Mary-Frances" - "Tammy" for the movie starring Debbie Reynolds; "Mary-Frances" for my maternal and paternal grandmothers, respectively.
Once I was born, however, my Mother decided to name me "Kimmie" as it rhymed with "Jimmie," which is what she called my Dad. Not sure where "Lee" came from. I am thankful they didn't go with "Ramona" (no offense to any Ramonas who might be reading this!!), but I think I would've been okay with "Tammy."


When I was in junior high school I was unhappy with my name and for a few weeks, I became "Kellie Marie Rogers." I have no idea how or why I came up with that name, but I really liked it and would sign my school papers and notes to friends with that name. When I was an older teen, I hated "Kimmie" - thought it was fine for a five year old, but too childish for someone my age, so I tolerated it only from family mambers; friends and teachers called me "Kim."

Since Rog and I have been married, he refers to me as "Kimmie" and I no longer grit my teeth when I hear it spoken. Many of our current friends think it's his nickname for me, not realizing it's my given name and that's what they call me, too. And - finally - I'm okay with that!

~ klb

No comments: