Saturday, April 01, 2006

How GOD Speaks (to me...)

Currently, we are down to one vehicle (not counting the work trucks) because my Blazer has issues. Consequently, whenever I need to run an errand or head into town to visit w/my Dad, I must wait until there is an available vehicle for me to use. I will get to use either Rog's truck or our son J's truck - this is usually not a problem, for which I am thankful. But, on those occasions when I am unable to use either one, I sometimes get frustrated.

My Dad, bless his heart, has been wanting to buy a new vehicle for himself -- but since he hasn't driven for well over a year, he would allow me to use it in his stead. Very sweet. A few times recently, he has found SUVs for sale on-line or advertised in local commercials and has asked Rog if he thinks they are worth the value. My precious Husband - keeping Dad's best interests in mind - tells him that although these *deals* sound very good, most likely they are not. When Dad explains that he's wanting to find a vehicle for me to use, Rog says that we will be getting the Blazer fixed eventually and that Dad shouldn't be spending his $$ unnecessarily. "Eventually" is a relative term. We do know someone who is willing to come fix my car, but he hasn't had the time to do so in the month or more since it's been disabled. And he has no idea when, exactly, he will have the time -- but he is willing.

So...spoiled child that I am, I have been feeling resentful that Rog has not encouraged Dad to purchase a new vehicle. Today - and here I am finally getting around to the reason for my title - I asked GOD what logical reason does Rog have for his decision? Is it a form of control (I don't believe it is)? Is it male pride ("If anyone is going to provide for my wife, it'll be ME")? I don't think that's it, either. So, as I pondered and waited on His answer, I was gently reminded by the Holy Spirit about the "Leave & Cleave" message we learned at the WTR conference last weekend -- we are commanded to leave mother and father and to cleave to one another in our marriage (and also to become one flesh, but that isn't the issue here). It was explained to us that "leaving and cleaving" means, essentially, to break all bonds of dependence upon our parents and cling to or be inter-dependent upon, our mate. Given that, I understood that GOD was telling me that I am no longer to rely on my Dad to meet my needs (transportation), but that it is my Husband's responsibility to do so. It was one of those "Ah-ha!" moments. Looking at the issue with godly understanding, I am not so frustrated and resentful as I was.

That's how He often speaks to me - with that gentle, quiet voice bringing up lessons I've learned or messages I've heard or truths I've read. It amazes me every time, when I hear Him communicating with me, Spirit-to-spirit. It shouldn't, really, but it does. To think that the Creator of the entire universe cares enough about me, that He would take the time to whisper in my ear His instructions and reminders and exhortations and correction. It's one of the things I love best about Him - this genuine interest in what is best for me and His willingness to speak to me about it. He speaks words of love to me as well - especially when I'm feeling unimportant or unnecessary. I still need to work on hearing His voice whenever He speaks - sometimes I'm too busy or too involved with *self* to take notice. But when I do hear Him and the glorious things He has to say to me... what a joyful, blessed and secure thing it is!

LiC ~

No comments: